[Strange idea] Nebraska-Strong Flood t-shirt

[Strange idea] Nebraska-Strong Flood t-shirt
Front

In Omaha we worked for the Omaha Guide. It was more of a Republican prespective on the black community. After a year, my husband and I thought we would start our own newspaper that was more in line with our Democratic views.

And on July 9, 1938, I changed Omaha forever. Along side my husband, I founded a black newspaper that still operates today. It is believed that I was the first African American woman to found a newspaper in the whole United States.

We didn't want it to be just another newspaper. I wanted to spread good news about the black community in North Omaha. I would reach out to people and ask them to share their triumphs and successes. I wanted people getting their master's degrees to have their face on the front page, not criminals.
[Strange idea] Nebraska-Strong Flood t-shirt
Front
It worked and we sold ads. Well, we had to sell ads. With two dollars to invest, we rented an old funeral parlor that no one wanted for cheap. You want Nebraska strong? There was no "home-work separation" for me. We moved into the newspaper office. In fact, I lived in an apartment above the office until I died in 1989. But back to that special kind of strength a divorced woman needs. He left, but he didn't take my career with him. That was always my own. But what I have heard is that if you read my newspaper from it's beginning to my death. My voice that came through in my editorials changed after 1945 when I, alone, ran the only African American newspaper in Nebraska. It became more pronounced, more liberated, more firm, more clear, more strong. I divorced him with a deal that I would keep, manage and run the newspaper. And I did. Today, long after my death, it is the longest running African American newspaper in the United States.Another link to buy: https://ethershirt.hatenablog.com/

Nhận xét